When you are using the JSHeroes website you entrust us with your data. The purpose of this Privacy Statement is to explain what data we collect, why we collect it, how we use it, and also to allow you to decide to what extent you disclose your data.
Types of data we collect
Personal information may be collected from you in various ways, for example:
- Email address i.e. when you buy a ticket for the JSHeroes conference
- IP address and general location data (through the website log file), device & browser data (collected through cookies or similar technology)
- IP address, date, and time associated with each open and click for an email campaign sent through our email service provider (MailChimp)
Anonymous data may be collected from you in various ways, for example:
- Information on how you were referred to our site via another website, and the links you follow when leaving our site (through Google Analytics)
- Data on our users behavior and their devices (in particular devices IP address (captured and stored only in anonymized form), device screen size, device type (unique device identifiers), browser information, geographic location (country only), preferred language used to display our website). This is done through Hotjar tracking cookies and other technologies. Hotjar stores this information in a pseudonymized user profile.
How we use the data we collect
We use the data we collect for a number of purposes:
- To provide you with the services you signed up for, or requested
- For security purposes, to ensure that our site is safe and secure
- To send email and marketing communications when we have your permission
- To personalize our services i.e. remember your previous session
- To optimize Facebook ads based on collected anonymized data, and build targeted audiences
- For statistical purposes, i.e. website traffic analysis, performance of marketing communications
- To better understand our users’ experience
Cookies, Analytics and Traffic Data
Cookies are pieces of information that a website places on your device when you visit a website. We do not use advertising cookies, and do not allow third party advertising networks to collect information about the users of our Site.
We use several types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies – there are essential for the normal functioning of the website i.e. session cookies. These cookies do not track you and cannot be opted out of.
- Performance & Analytics – we use 3rd party analytics tools, Google Analytics and Hotjar, to help us analyze how our site is used, through compiled reports. These data are exclusively used by us for website activity and performance analysis.
- Functionality cookies – hese remember your preferred language, understand your preferences, enable our Youtube videos and Social Media buttons to function properly. Whithout these the website loses some functionality, but they are optional.
- Tracking cookies – we use the Facebook Pixel to create Custom Audiences for our Facebook event ads. The data collected in this way is anonymous to us, however, this data is stored and processed by Facebook. Facebook may link this information to your Facebook account and also use it for its own promotional purposes, in accordance with Facebook’s Data Usage Policy https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/.
You can delete or disable cookies through your browser settings. Please note that you may not be able to take full advantage of a website if you disable cookies. Click below for instructions:
To opt-out of Hotjar tracking cookies follow this opt-out link.
To object to the collection of your data by Facebook Pixel, or to the use of your data for the purpose of displaying Facebook ads click here: https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=ads.
We use email tracking pixels in MailChimp campaigns, these data are organized in reports that are solely used to monitor how an email campaign performed and what actions subscribers took.
Sharing your data with 3rd parties
Personal as well as non-personal data collected by us is considered confidential and will never be sold or leased to third parties, besides the exceptions mentioned below:
- When companies perform services on our behalf, i.e. online payments, conference registration system, email marketing platform, website analytics.
- If we are quired by public authorities or other organisation in order to meet a legal or regulatory obligation, in accordance with Union or Member State law.
We have checked that our 3rd party solution providers adhere to GDPR guidelines on data processing and storage:
- Google Analytics Data Privacy and Security
- Facebook is certified under the Privacy Shield Agreement and thus guarantees compliance with European data protection legislation
We will not share or sell your personal data to any other 3rd party for their own marketing purposes unless we have your permission to do so.
Changes to this statement
From time to time, we may review this privacy statement. Please check this page occasionally to ensure that you are informed of any changes.
Last updated: 8 August, 2018.